Thursday, September 9, 2010

I love Lucy

No...not that Lucy.


I love Lucy Willis,
extraordinary watercolor painter of light and shadows,
and author of several wonderful books.
Lucy is my go-to-woman when I need a back-to-the-basics pep talk
and a reset of thought processes. 
Just looking at her books inspires me and quiets the doubts.
I'm  getting ready for a wonderful weekend workshop in Cape May with Marge Chavoosian.
Marge is an excellent artist and a very patient teacher.
The weather looks beautiful for our torture test  plein air painting
in front of the grand no way can I paint those Victorian houses.
My stomach is already in a knot.  Why, you wonder?
Because painting houses is out of my comfort zone,
painting houses in plein air is really out of my comfort zone.
My sister asked "well, then why go?"
and of course, the answer is
because it's out of my comfort zone.

It's intimidating, and frustrating and anxiety-producing,
but I'm going to be there painting along side my daughter,
my architect daughter whose houses fly right out of the end of her pencil.

I'm packing my Lucy books for comfort.
If I produce anything not too humiliating I might post next week.
Have a great weekend!






8 comments:

  1. Hi Carol...

    Ohh...I'm so happy for you, dear lady! It sounds like you are going to have a fabulous weekend! Enjoy!!! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol!
    Can't wait to see your paintings..
    the Victorians are magnificent subjects!!
    above all.. have FUN!!
    mother-daughter time.. Priceless!!!
    warm sandy hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can't wait to see what you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of painting architecture--and Victorian architecture at that!
    I have several of Willis's books too, and especially love the Travels one: she uses yellow and purple better than anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I look forward to seeing some of the results, when you're ready.
    ....try to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, bravo for stepping out of your comfort zone.
    I did it recently and I'll have to do it again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful weekend.. Cant wait to see the results of what you learn..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol...
    How fun! It so neat to know that everyone has thier comfort areas... I love doing homes. Can't wait to see you end pieces!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete